Friday, January 16, 2009

A discouraging day

I awoke this morning, after a long night of vivid dreams, to a very cloudy and overcast morning, I laid there confused (since I had heard that we were going to have nothing but sunshine for the next week), then the weather report came on the radio (country of course since those are the ONLY stations we have here). The weather report said we were going to have another partly sunny day here in town, something certainly wasn't adding up. Eric, Sean, Kerry and I headed up to the hill despite the cloudy weather. After a stop in the rental shop, me to get skis, Kerry for snowboard boots and Sean and Eric for lift tickets, we headed up the hill. We got to the top of Apres Vous to realize we were having a classic Jackson inversion (cold and cloudy at the base and warm and sunny up top). After the funky weather we have been having though the snow on AV was bad (east coast crunch with quite a lot of death cookies). I took one run down and realized I either needed to find something better or just go home. The death cookies (imagine lots of little rocks of snow, lumpy and crunchy) caused a lot of vibration in my knee and caused intense pain. We headed up to Casper where it was more sunny for more of the runs. I did a few more runs, but instead of the ache I had been expierencing in my knee the past few days, there was intense searing pain. After 2 runs I went into the Casper lodge and sat on the couches by the fire, if I had had a book I think I would have hung out there all day. After a little break I elected to try again on my knee. The pain was still happening and I noticed my left ski was wavering more than I was comfortable with. I told the boys I needed to call the day before I did any damage to my knee. On my way down the trail we call the gully Kerry noticed a rainbow right on the cloud line. After stopping to admire the rainbow we noticed there was an awesome sundog. I dobut we would have seen either if I hadn't been going slow because of my knee. I am going to take a few days off of skiing and see how my knee feels, but I fear this is going to be an uphill battle between my brain and my body.

Sundog.

Ski day count 20 (already at 1/2 of last year).

No comments: